Friday, March 16, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 March 2018


Every month, when I start working on my monthly painting, the inspiration is usually from something happening in my life, in nature or the world. 

This month, 12 x 12 x 12 March 2018 is a collage that incorporates one of the sock photos my husband posts each day on his instagram account. The photo below is from a few weeks ago. It was of particular interest to me because I've never used newspaper text in my artwork before, and I also love the black and white stripes, and the slightly curved center.

His photo was not totally in black and white, but I made it so, and with his permission, I incorporated it in my painting. It's a laser print on paper that I muted on board, with a layer of a monoprinted construction fence, minus the "holes", collaged on top. Using paint, I extended the black lines of his socks to the edges of the painting.

I wasn't that happy with my January and February pieces, but this one brings me joy. Not only because of the color and pattern, but also because it's a collaboration of sorts with my husband.


I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. I'm now in my 12th year. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.