Friday, April 20, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x12 April 2018


When I start working on my 12 x 12 painting each month, the inspiration is usually from something happening in my life, in nature or the world. 

12 x 12 x 12 April 2018 is a collage that incorporates a photo by Danielle Dimston in the background, with monoprints I made of a construction fence layered on top. When I first saw it, her photo (below) was of great interest because it's of a construction fence and a wonderful shadow. Danielle is a dear friend and an artist who I very much admire, and I am very thankful that she agreed to share it with me. 


All four pieces I've created in this series so far this year have incorporated either a photo I took, or a friend or family member took, as the inspiration, and I am thankful for them sharing them with me.

I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. I'm now in my 12th year. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.